Thanksgiving. Where should I start? Should I start with the fact I hate, no scratch that, strongly dislike thanksgiving? It just doesn't feel like thanksgiving anymore. For the last eight years we have been going to some snooty rich country club with rich realtives, of whom I only know the names of about half, and eating off like a buffet type thing. THIS IS NOT THANKSGIVING. I am not spending it with people I really care about, sure it's good to see these people because they are family, but whatever happened to the old fashion sit down dinner? Thanksgiving now is just a dissapointment. Sure the food's not bad and as my sister said "It's free", but still I would much rather have Thanksgiving they way it used to be.
And for these past eight years I have felt like a total outcast from the rest of the family. We are not rich like them, don't get me wrong we aren't poor either, we are just middle class. These people, however, are filthy rich. Take my aunt for example, she was VP of Cincinnati Bell and would have gone on to be Pres. but retired. Her and my uncle now take 564867198 vacations a year to various parts of the globe. My family just doesn't seem to fit. And not only that but they are incredible SNOBS!! This one lady named Genie (how she is in realtion to me I have no idea) seems so cold. Her skin is pulled so tight it makes my face hurt just to look at (probably thanks to some botox injections) and her eyes are ice cold blue that seem to pierce through you. Nothing ever seems to be good enough for this woman as she is always complaining. The only people there that I do like seeing are my Aunt Mer and Uncle Wiley who are the only ones there with kindness. And on top of that hardly anyone talks to me because of my age I suppose they believe I can't carry on an intelligent conversation. WHATEVER.
And then there is Aunt Barb. I never had a problem with Aunt Barb, yeah sure she seemed snobbish and stuck-up, but she was always nice to me. Until thursday I had no problem with her. Well this all changed with one conversation. It started with her asking me about my plans for college. I told her I really like art and its something that I really enjoy and I was thinking about studying it in college and maybe have a career in the art industry. To which her response was "Oh well you know you can't make that much money as an artist? Believe me I am a BUISNESS woman and I have SEEN all DONE all and art is not the way to go. Take Nick's (her son) girlfriend for example. She went to school for photography and now she is barely making minimum wage. And Steven (her other son) wanted to major in history and I just had to push him in the direction of a more promising career and now he is completely happy. But art? Well that's okay if you want to be poor." CAN YOU BELIEVE THE NERVE OF THAT WOMAN??? "THATS OKAY IF YOU WANT TO BE POOR?" WHO THE HELL ARE YOU TO TELL ME WHAT TO DO WITH MY LIFE? She basically told me that if i follow in the direction of my dreams that I wouldn't amount to anything. If i could see her again I would SCREAM in her face, but at the time it totally just crushed me. She totally just crushed my dreams and watched me crumble. I was almost in tears, but I wouldn't let that woman see me cry. Never.
Reflecting on it though, it just makes me stronger. The fact that she said that I COULDN'T makes me want to prove that I CAN. I would rather be poor and be doing something I love then being rich and doing something I hate. Money isn't everything.
"Live the Life you have Imagined"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
yay sandra!
you will show that woman!
the rest of your family will lay on their death beds with their greedy grandchildren just waiting for their inheritance while you will be surrounded by loving, caring friends and family that will always be there for you.
wow... that was kind of morbid...
next thanksgiving... you and me... my house, i'm cooking :D
Post a Comment